Re: [exim] acl black art help wanted

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Asunto: Re: [exim] acl black art help wanted
Hill Ruyter wrote:
> Ok so now I am even more frustrated
>
> I managed to get exim to run the ols helo check
> But it stopped me from sending mail from my own server
>
> Clearly my PC client cant have a verified HELO
> So how do I make the list ignore authenticated hosts ?
>
> Aaaaargh
>
> Hill

Back up and try to gain understanding of the overall process, which proceeds in
stages.

Exim has default behaviour for all of these, so, yes, you can alter just small
portions, but no, it isn't wise to just blindly adopt a fragment of code used by
others, as you do not always know what *else* they have done or what portion
relies on what other portion.

Each test you may want Exim to make should be 'steered' by both choice of
location within the smtp negotiation sequence, and OTHER information as it
becomes available.

Which is not 'all at once'.

Exim's documentation covers the whole environment in one way or another, at one
point in time or another - somewhere.

But there is a LOT of it, and of necessity, it is highly 'Exim specific'

It might help to take a break from it and go and read more generic explanations
of the smtp process, such as one Charles M. Kozierok has been kind enough to
post here:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_toc.htm

smtp specifics start here:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPIPElectronicMailDeliveryProtocolTheSimpleMailTr.htm

There are other sources online as well as this one. Find another one you
understand easily if this is not it.

CAVEAT - The leadup to smtp is a worthwhile read ALSO. In any case, most
sections have more than one page. Track into those before skipping to the next
section.

If you get lazy and skip too much, the world will leave teeth marks on the
softer parts of your anatomy.

Some folks enjoy that .. others not.

;-)

Bill