Re: [exim] Root user and aliases

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: W B Hacker
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Root user and aliases
Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Space Ship Traveller <space.ship.traveller@???> wrote:
> [...]
>> Because there is no domain supplied, the mysql query fails and exim
>> decided to try and route the address to the smarthost.. This doesn't
>> really seem correct - if the address is provided without a domain,
>> should it default to localhost? yes? no?
>
> No. ;-)
> http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch14.html#id546759
>
>> Is mail ever sent to an address like this from tools such as cron
>> (typically/by default)?
> [...]
>
> yes.
>
> I do not understand how you ended up with your error message though,
> normally exim should qualify the address before startng routing.
> cu andreas

Depends on whether one has told it to supply an originating domain.

However - when SQL is involved (PostgreSQL here), it is quite easy to get into
a situation where 'all bets are off', and the SQl calls either preceed or ignore
the conventional behaviour.

IF using SQL, one must take care to do in SQL what Exim would have happily done
before you interrupted its game.

Likewise, even in an otherwise all-SQL-driven environment, it is perhaps less
trouble to re-enable the system/alias router with either /etc/(mail)/aliases,
ELSE a bespoke substitute. So long as Exim has read privs, that can even be a
file in an unprivileged user's area. Or NOT. Have a care...

We still use /etc/aliases because, among other things, cron (or monit, or
monitord, or checkservice, or nagios or ...) may have the important task of
sending a cry for help if the RDBMS or even the exim daemon has fallen off its
perch.

'Call this number to report outage of your telephone service' ?

There are situations where Exim can be knocked down as a daemon, but still send
an outbound when invoked as a binary one-shot by cron and friends.

One can also use a second, different MTA entirely, so long as it is configured
to not attempt to listen on port 25 of the same IP as Exim - or not listen at all.

Bill