[exim] controlling amount of messages received and relayed i…

Author: Chump Chumpster
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] controlling amount of messages received and relayed in one go
Hi,

I've been playing with maybe too many variables tweaking my Exim install and
could probably do with getting back to basics, if someone could help out.

Here's a scenario that is close to what my actual infrastructure is, but
with round figures to keep it clear.

Let's say my Exim MTA is relaying email to the public Internet for 500
clients on a private IP LAN.

Therefore on the trusted 'receive' side of the MTA, picking up email to
relay, I'd like to able to have a large number of clients make connections
from their mail software to be able to send email. I'd also like them to be
able to send the same email up to 150 people in their address book at the
same time (as one transaction).

Once the MTA has got this transaction. I'd like it to relay the email, but
in a more politically correct way for the public Internet... eg. a max of 20
connections to an ISP and no more than 50 of the same email at a time.

I wonder if anyone can give me any pointers in the right direction. I'm not
sure if the params I'm using will also expose the public side of the MTA to
being swamped by other relays coming in from the 'net.

thanks for any advice....