Re: [exim] Sender callout verification on BATV signed addres…

Author: Hill Ruyter
To: 'exim users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender callout verification on BATV signed addresses
>Richard Salts wrote:
>
>*trimmed*
>>
>> For instance using the BATV domain variant I'd send out emails with a

signed
>> envelope such as localpart@???. My trick dns server

would
>> then only publish the record for a specific TAG as a subdomain with a

time to
>> die of 2 days or so, which should mean there is plenty of time for the

mail to

>*trimmed*
>
>W B Hacker wrote:
>
>Is this not the start of yet-another cure that is worse than the disease?
>
>Multiply your 48-hour TTL times by the 100,000 to 1,000,000 messages a

medium
>sized ISP might transit in 24 hours.
>
>The 'big guys' do *billions* per day.
>
>Your 'trick' DNS is a busy little SOB. Might eventually need a resource

pool
>greater than that of the mail servers.
>
>Do we even want to think about other nameservers trying to cache

those....??

>- Which is not at all hard for an MX or PTR RR, commonly with very long

ttl...

I am not pretending to really understand this properly
But it sounds to me like this type of stuff is only for organizations.

What happens to the little guy like me if this type of solution is
implemented?

I run my own mail server for me and my close family, I do it out of desire
to understand the technology
Better for my work and as a result of not being able to get the service I
desire for my email needs from a
Provider.
I do not have a trick DNS server and would be unlikely to know how to build
one.
My DNS sits on a reg site with a little web front end so I can only do
standard stuff on it.

What I seem to see here is an assumption that the only people who should be
allowed to run an email server are those doing it as a business and if you
want to run a little linux box with a couple of domains with about 3
accounts each you are left out in the cold.

I am aware that spam is a WAY bigger problem for you guys but it is still a
real pain for me too and ultimately I may wish to send a really important
email to one of your customers some day and all these clever widgets stop it
getting through because I don't have the resources to set up a trick DNS
etc, where does that leave me and your customer?

Hill