Re: [exim] allowing bind to fail

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] allowing bind to fail
Jim Gottlieb wrote:
> On 2009-05-13, at 20:43, W B Hacker wrote:
>
>> Presuming you seek a 'portable' configure files, do it as in the
>> configure.default file shipped with Exim:
>>
>> Do not specify 'local_interfaces' at all.
>
> This has the same effect:
>
>    socket bind() to port 25 for address (any IPv4) failed: Address
> already in use:

>> Wildcarding also works:
>>
>> local_interfaces = *
>
>    Malformed IP address "*" in local_interfaces

ummhh .. got my config-cells on a different daemon ... will research the format.

> Next I will try the suggestion of using include_if_exists.

If you are getting this:

...failed: Address already in use:

You need to track-down what is sitting on that port.

EX:

- An OS with 'Sendmail' as default, not disabled, and already running before
Exim is fired-up.

- Trying to 'start' Exim on top of another listener-instance of Exim already
running.

Bill