[exim] allowing bind to fail

Author: Jim Gottlieb
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] allowing bind to fail
For years we've been using a single config file for all our mail
servers that had the following:

local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0.25 : 0.0.0.0.5190 : 0.0.0.0.587

But now we have a machine where we're running a special SMTP instance
on just one of its interfaces. So I thought I would just make sure I
start that other one first. But when exim can't bind to all
interfaces, it exits:

socket bind() to port 25 for address (any IPv4) failed: Address
already in use: daemon abandoned

Likewise if I tried listing all possible addresses under
local_interfaces, hoping it would bind to those it could and just
forget about the rest.

So is there any way to do what I'm trying to do without having a
special config file for this one host? I'd like it to soft fail when
it can't bind to a particular address.

Thanks...