Re: [exim] Use of P0f

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Use of P0f
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:16:20PM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> In another thread covering greylisting, Mike Cardwell posted that greylisting
> could be skipped when (among other entries):
>
> > 2.) If P0F detects the connecting host to be non-Windows (Used P0F for this)
>
> Which sounded interesting, so....
>
> Using p0f with the barest of directives:
>
> p0f -i vr0
>
> What am I doing wrong w/r p0f & Exim?
>
> Does p0f need Exim to do a 'delay' before rejection in order to ascertain
> the caller's OS?

I've been using p0f for a while (> 1 year I think) with no problems. p0f runs
"passively" and then Exim queries it via a ${perl expansion (though I suppose
if I wanted to I could write a kind of exim-to-p0f proxy and use a plain
${readsocket instead).

Currently all I'm doing with it is querying p0f from exim and logging the
results - the results don't actually /affect/ anything (except the contents of
the log). But to that extent, it works just fine.

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/