Re: [exim] Couldn't chown message log

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Couldn't chown message log
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:26:08AM +0800, W B Hacker said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:

> >> '... when used on Linux'
> >
> > 'when you want deliveries to run as a user other than the user the
> > listener runs as'
> >
> > It's nothing to do with Linux vs. BSD. Please keep editor/OS/etc wars
> > in the pub where they belong.
>
> Have you looked at the OP's problem?

Yes.

> Are you aware that Jason's 'C1' config doesn't even make a 'user' choice in the
> delivery phase? Hard-coded nor lookup.

Take a look at what check_local_user does.

> ... or that files in /var/log do NOT ordinarily change ownership?

"Couldn't chown message log /var/spool/exim/msglog//1M3qaK-0000iG-0v" is
not in /var/log, and is not a log file.

> Did you miss that the OP's file ownerships were at variance with those Jason's
> C1 config and a 'common' Exim conf expect? EG: 'exim:exim'

The only thing not owned by exim was the binary itself. Not really a
problem.

> Suggest *less* time in that pub.

Before we both get all stroppy about this, let's both take a step back.

The OP is clearly new to exim. The normal install is setuid root
to enable delivering as different users to /var/mail/$local_part.
When you suggested to a new user that exim doesn't need to be suid root,
I wanted to make the point that in most normal use cases, it really does,
regardless of which kernel you run. I apologize if I got your back up -
all I was trying to do was keep a new user from following a more difficult
path to usefulness than they need to.

Enough from me on this one, I think.
|  Stephen Gran                  | : The hierarchy is excessive.  So is    |
|  steve@???             | the anarchy.  :-)   -- Larry Wall in    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | <199705101952.MAA00756@???>        |