Re: [exim] net-search

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] net-search
Matt wrote:
> I have this entry in exim.conf:
>
> defer log_message = greylisted
>         !hosts = net-lsearch;/etc/virtual/trusted_ips
> Basically I do not want to greylist any of the IP's in
> /etc/virtual/trusted_ips.  Is there a limit on the number of IP's I can have
> in this file?  I have about 5k IP's in it right now.

> Matt

Other than time-to-traverse, I'm not aware that Exim itself has a limit.

Your file-system DOES have limits, but you are probsbly not even close to it by
two or more orders of magnitude.

EX: Just did an 'ANALYZE VERBOSE brownlist;' and find 954,773 IP-based records
here, though those are in a PostgreSQL DB, not raw fs.

At 5k IP's, not sure a Database Engine would meet 'payback' criteria.

If this is a fairly static list, OTOH, a CDB or such might be a better move than
*either* flat-file or SQL RDBMS.

HTH,

Bill