Re: [exim] Silly situation - reprocess mail in queue

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Silly situation - reprocess mail in queue
Marcin Krol wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a 'backup' host configuration which accepts the mail when the
> server with higher MX is down:
>
> manual_route:
>          transport = remote_smtp
>          driver = manualroute
>          domains =  +relay_to_domains
>          route_list = btw2.pl 77.253.234.172 ; btw2.eu 77.253.234.172
>          unseen

> Since the router is unseen, Exim also processes mail normally and stores
> it locally to enable users read mail on the backup host when the main
> host is down.
>
> Well, a silly thing happened: another administrator cleared the setuid
> bit on exim binary and exim was unable to save the incoming mail locally.
>
> The mail was obviously not lost since it's in the queue and will be
> delivered when the main host goes online.
>
> But I would like to make Exim save that mail again on backup host, that
> is, to reprocess each mail in the queue as if it were just incoming over
> SMTP, so it could save the local copy.
>
> Is there a way to do this in Exim? I don't want to muck about manual
> delivering spool files to user maildir folders.
>
> Regards,
> mk

Quick, as in right away - (it may already be too late if you've got Exim
running again)..

*Make copies to a safe place* of whatever is believed to have been
missed-out -

Keeping in mind that Exim stores TWO items for every message;

- the actual message & attachments,

and

- a set of 'characteristics' or administrative information, including
acl_m variables, and whether it has delivered the 'nth' copy of a
mult-recipient message, etc.

Should be safe to do a CP -Rp of the whole queue structure.

OTHERWISE - as you want to re-inject these to be parsed by the whole
routing process - not just part of it...

- that will either happen 'automagically' as queue-runners fire,

OR

- happen only 'partially'

...depending on how your router/tranaport sets are arranged, what logic
they act on, and whether there is 'enough' of the right information
still stored to insure activating that remote-duplication
router/transport....

IOW 'ignored' they will not be. Not forever, anyway.

Worst case, you will either be in a position to re-inject the traffic,
or see that it has auto-recovered and simply delete the copies.

Better to risk duplicate delivery than none at all.

'How to' best feed them back into the food chain can be discussed once
you are sure you still *have* them..

HTH,

Bill