Re: [exim] SPF Feature - Walk Received header

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Peter Bowyer
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] SPF Feature - Walk Received header
On 07/05/2009, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 07/05/2009, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> I'm not currently using SPF but I thought of a feature that mught make

SPF
> useful. If there were a test that checked all the received lines
> and

returned true if any host matched the SPF record it might eliminate
> the

forwarding issue that SPF breaks.

> That would leave a gaping barn-door-sized hole in SPF - a forger could

look
> up the SPF record for the domain he was forging, and add a forged

Received
> header claiming the message had been originated correctly.

I guess you
> could apply this rule to a small whitelist of trusted

forwarders, though.
> But those people should be using SPF/SRS

themselves (mine do).

Peter

> Granted that a spammer could forge received headers. Most don't.

Eh? Have you looked at many spam samples lately? Or in the last 10 years?

> I'm
> thinking that not bouncing forwarded email is better than the few spammers
> who sneak through.

Not spammers - forgers. Providing a way to defeat an anti-forgery
mechanism wouldn't be my choice. But hey, if that's what you want....

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???