Re: [exim] Perl-interface ./. Use Cases

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Perl-interface ./. Use Cases
On 07/05/2009, Mike Cardwell <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Peter Bowyer wrote:
>
> >> Im playing with the Perlinterface.
> >> I wonder for which use-cases "you" use the interface:-)
> >> I would like to gather some.
> >
> > We use it for SURBL/URIBL body checking
> > (http://www.teuton.org/~ejm/exim_surbl/), and for some homebrew custom
> > MySQL logging.
>
> Just a thought. Wouldn't it be more simple, and more powerful if the
> script didn't do the dns lookups it's self, but just returned a
> domainlist of the domains in a message body? Then you could do stuff
> like this:
>
> # Check if one of the domains is on surbl:
> deny dnslists = multi.surbl.org/${perl{extractdomains}}
>      message  = $dnslist_matched is listed on $dnslist_domain with a
> value of $dnslist_value

> Or:
>
> # Check if one of the domains is hosted on an IP in China:
>
> dnslists = cn.countries.nerd.dk/${lookup dnsdb{>:a=${perl{extractdomains}}}}

Interesting. I know the SURBL script does a bit more than just extract
the domains - it has TLD/ccTLD domain cut functionality, for example,
and simple whitelisting. Would need thinking about how/where that
stuff gets done.

But yes, I agree.

Peter

--