Re: [exim] Spamassassin

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spamassassin
Peter Kirk wrote:
>> Do you use 'require verify = recipient'

*snip*

> Hey Bill
>
> Thanks for the info, we do, do all of the above such as blacklisting,
> whitelisting, dnslists, 'require verify = recipient', clamav and the
> rest of the works. Make sure that spamassassin gets the last bit of
> work there is to do.
>
> The thing is that it works fine for about 3months and then just goes
> crazy and uses a lot of cpu "well perl does". In the past I always end
> up fixing it by either rebooting or updating all the packages on the
> server. Though im sure there must be something causing this?

OK - the next place I would look is that an upgrade has altered your
original SA prefs - if not the whole bleeping environment and mindset of SA.

The last few have had warnings that init.pre had changed and called for
a review, and (briefly) my last few *new* installs had far higher
workload than previous ones until smacked back into simplicity-modes.

> The server has 1GB mem and 1cpu 2.6... running on vmware, with a big
> pipe to the internet. So there should be no bottlenecks. Server
> handles anything from about 10-30k incoming mails per day, and blocks
> about 20-50k spam a day so its not that much under strain.
>
> Thanks

That is a suspiciously low percentage of spam to ham, IMNSHO.

Over six+ years, we see closer to 80% spam, 20% ham. And even that is
after early-rejections that are excluded from the ratio.

OTOH, the principle <domain>.<tld>'s are in use for a dozen-plus years,
on the same IP for six+, and widely harvested, so may be higher than
average spam-magnets.

Regards,

Bill