Re: [exim] Default enabling of dnsdb

Autor: Mike Cardwell
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Default enabling of dnsdb
W B Hacker wrote:

>> The examples you gave there re postgresql, mysql and perl are hardly
>> equivalent to the ability to do arbitrary DNS lookups. DNS is an
>> essential part of routing mail in general, whereas the others aren't.
>
> Sorry - you are confused.
>
> Exim - default - has all the 'DNS' routing tools it needs.
>
> Quote:
>
> # LOOKUP_DNSDB does *not* refer to general mail routing using the DNS.

It's almost as though you're suggesting that I stated Exim can't route
mail without DNSDB... That can't be the case surely? That would mean you
yourself were either confused, or dishonest...? Which is it?

Using your arguments you could also say that "dnslists" shouldn't be
compiled in as default because it's bloat and isn't required to route
mail and the majority of installations probably don't use it, blah blah
blah.

Either way, you're going off on a random irrelevant tangent as usual.
This boils down to:

1.) Increase the size of the Exim binary by about 4 kilobytes
2.) Gain the ability to do arbitrary DNS lookups.

Does anyone other than Bill have an opinion? I still contend that there
is no disadvantage to doing it. Unless you're actually mad enough to
think that adding 4KB of useful code, is equivalent to, "bloat".

Use case (the thing that sparked this thread) ...

Today somebody asked me how to configure something in Exim, which
involved getting a hostlist of the ips of yahoo's MX's and I immediately
answered with:

${lookup dnsdb{>:a=${lookup dnsdb{>:mxh=yahoo.com}}}}

Before I remembered that most Exim installations don't have dnsdb
available to them.

That's happened to me several times in the past. I've been asked how to
do something, and responded with a dnsdb solution only to realise that
dnsdb isn't compiled in.

--
Mike Cardwell
(https://secure.grepular.com/) (http://perlcv.com/)