Re: [exim] rejected RCPT, relay not permitted

Author: Renee
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] rejected RCPT, relay not permitted
> Per Ian's post - your alpine is connecting twice.
>
> On the first go, it is not paying attention to the advertised HELO/EHLO
> and negotiating a TLS-protected session as it should do. tcpdump will
> probably show a GNU sitting in thin air ....with its finger up its nose...
>
> ;-)
>
> alpine then tries again - this time willing to use TLS - and suceeds.
>
> Per the UW docs for alpine, that is bass-ackwards of the described
> default behaviour when port 587 (and AUTH) is specified.
>
> http://www.washington.edu/alpine/tech-notes/config-notes.html

I checked this out just to be sure I was doing smtp properly.. It turns out
that even though I had properly specified the smtp-server option in the
al/pine global configuration to use TLS, this global setting was not showing
up in the end user's al/pine config. The smtp-server setting on the local
config was showing "" instead of the string it should have been showing.
When I changed the local config to match the global config and sent my
tests, I got the expected result- no double connection and associated
errors!!

You were right all along in that this was indeed a problem with alpine
configuration... =)

Regarding use of other clients- mutt is a good option for some, but not for
others. I may make that conversion in the future for the few that use pine,
but for now, I just want to get this new exim server in production. Most of
my end users do use a third party client, such as mac mail, thunderbird,
webmail, outlook, etc, etc..

Thanks again for all of your help on this issue, despite the fact it wasn't
an exim problem! Now on to troubleshooting alpine....

Renee