Re: [exim] EXIM as MTA and MDA

Author: Michael Heydon
To: kosmocronos
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] EXIM as MTA and MDA
Kosmocronos wrote:
> I have now some XP clients (internal lan, local static ip address) who need to be able to send and receive mail through my server with Outlook use only one specific mail address.

Exim is an MTA, it can receive mail via SMTP, and then either deliver it
locally or forward it on.

> I read Exim4 can receive mail from a remote host using SMTP over
> TCP/IP.

Yes, however you would need the sending server to send the message via
SMTP. If you have a domain this is as simple as changing the MX records.
From the "one specific mail address" above, it sounds like you are
planning to share an ISP provided address in which case they are
unlikely to want to send you your mail via SMTP.

> So I don't need to install POP-IMAP programs such as Courier, Fetchmail. Right ?

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve. If you want a POP3 or
IMAP server, then yes you will have to install a POP3 or IMAP server
(such as courier), if you want to retrieve messages from a mailbox then
yes you will need something like fetchmail. Neither of those are
required for exim to work as an MTA though.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh@??? <mailto:michaelh@jaswin.com.au>