Re: [exim] Smart hosting only on some failures.

Autor: Brady
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Smart hosting only on some failures.
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 9:49 AM, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

>> So without that I am forced to use a smart host regardless, but I have
>> no idea where to look for a good provider. I need the ability to send
>> from any account on my domains at about 100 - 200 messages per day at
>> most (usually more like 20). Are there any places that can do this
>> relatively cheaply considering I don't need the inbound side?
>>
>> - Brady
>>

> At typically 20, peak 200 your connectivity upstream's smarthost is
> usually the least-costly and easiest bet.
>
> Though you mention they do not provide PTR RR for connectivity-client's
>  IP's, that is fairly standard. Some ToS even prohibit runnng an MTA
> service (at least outbound).
>
> OTOH, connectivity ISP's ordinarily DO provide a PTR RR for their *own*
> mailhost(s) - which are not necessarily even in the same IP block s
> their broadband/dial-up pools.

This setup is currently in a community run colo facility. I am not
sure they provide any sort of mail hosts for people to use. All the
IPs are for dedicated machines much like a typical colo facility so I
have no idea where I would even need to look. When I asked I was told
that PTR records wouldn't be available but that they would look into
it. This leaves me kind of high and dry. I either need to find a third
party smart hosting solution, or just plow forward with out PTRs and
hope for the best =/