Re: [exim] Making SPF useful

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Making SPF useful

--On 8 April 2009 07:48:01 -0700 Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>>

>> --On 8 April 2009 06:11:14 -0700 Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
>>

>>> I haven't found SPF useful for white listing. I've seen spammers with
>>> good SPF. If I were a spammer I'd have good SPF.
>>>

>> Of course, you'd only whitelist a domain if you had some reason to
>> trust the owner of the domain. The point about SPF is that it allows
>> you to assign reputation to a domain instead of an IP address. That's
>> much easier to do.
>>

> I guess if you had a list of good domains and the rule was that if SPF
> match AND they were on the good list then consider the email ham?

Yes, that's the point of whitelisting. I'd not exempt people from virus
scanning, of course. But, I'd not even need a list of good domains - it
would allow me to offer a whitelisting facility for my users without
opening them up to spam from any old IP address. They could still get
spammed through compromised accounts, of course.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex