[exim] OT: extract and save mime parts

Author: Michael Heydon
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [exim] OT: extract and save mime parts
Hi,

I have a project where I need to exim to save any files attached to an
email into a certain directory. This is working up to a point by routing
to a pipe transport which calls the ripmime program.

Where it is falling down is when an email is forwarded as an attachment,
in this situation we would like the complete email including any of it's
own attachments to be extracted as a single file. ripmime has a
recursion-max option, however it does not appear to work how I expected
(a value of zero extracts everything, 1 extracts nothing, 2 extracts
everything) and I have had trouble finding much in the way of documentation.

I have also played around with using a custom script in smtp_mime ACLs,
using warn decode does almost exactly what I want, the problem here is
that it looks like the destination address hasn't been processed yet and
so I can't tell which messages need to be saved and which don't (the
server sees a fair amount of mail and only a very small number need to
have their attachments saved so I don't want to run a script over every
message).

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

--