Re: [pcre-dev] 7.9-RC2 test release

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] 7.9-RC2 test release

On 1 Apr 2009, at 19:14, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Craig Silverstein wrote:
>
>> } The next release after this one will have to be 8.0,
>>
>> You could do 7.10...
>
> Good thinking! Yes, of course I could.

Please don't - it makes things unnecessarily painful for downstream
packagers.

Some packaging formats treat version numbers as though they are
decimals - in which case 7.10 and 7.1 will probably compare the same,
and 7.9 and 7.10 will compare in the wrong order. Others treat each
separated number set as a number, so 7.9 to 7.10 works, and still
others use a string comparison. (again 7.9 to 7.10 is not an increment).

Its much safer to zero pad the second and subsequent components of a
version number, so a move to 8.000 or similar would make downstream
packagers much happer.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]