[exim] Unqualified domain?

Author: Alex Carver
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Unqualified domain?

I tried to end an email today to a remote domain but the message bounced back with a complaint about needing a fully-qualified hostname. I've never had this problem before but I wanted to check and make sure it wasn't my fault before contacting the mail admin on the other side. Here's the transcript of the message. I've replaced my own domain with "mydomain.net" and the remote domain with "theirdomain.net" but both of the actual domain names are registered and active.

I sent this email using Thunderbird from an internal machine to my Exim mail server. It is configured to rewrite outgoing email to be just me@??? instead of the actual host that initiated the email (the Thunderbird machine).

Up until this message I haven't had a problem sending or receiving mail but, as I said, I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

  webmaster@???