[exim] How to change maildir directory?

Author: Chris G
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] How to change maildir directory?
I'm using exim4 on my Ubuntu 8.10 system. I just changed it to deliver
to maildir rather than mbox as I want to be able to delete old
messages (via a script using 'find' or similar).

So I ran "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and selected delivery to
maildir and that worked OK (by setting dc_localdelivery='maildir_home')
but I don't really want mail to be delivered to ~/Maildir/.

How do I change delivery from ~/Maildir/ to something more (for me)
sensible? I did a Google search but most of the answers I found
seemed like bodges as they involved editing the file:-

    /etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/30_exim4-config_maildir_home

and actually changing the "directory = $home/Maildir" in there to
something else.

Surely the 'right' way to do it is to set the variable
MAILDIR_HOME_MAILDIR_LOCATION to what one wants. The trouble is I
can't find any documentation on how one should do this. I have tried
setting MAILDIR_HOME_MAILDIR_LOCATION in /etc/default/exim4 but this
seems to have no effect at all. Where/how should this value be set?

--
Chris Green