Re: [exim] how to set up smtp AUTH

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] how to set up smtp AUTH
Kevin Davidson <davidscom@???> (Do 19 Mär 2009 17:52:35 CET):
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up Exim to use SMTP Auth on my VPS. I have found
> various instructions, including some set by the support department by my
> provider. It simply does not work. Instructions provided were:
>
> $ chgrp exim /etc/shadow
> $ chmod g+r /etc/shadow
>
> Add the following block of text to the authenticators section of your
> exim.conf:
>
> plain:
> driver = plaintext
> public_name = PLAIN
> server_prompts = :
> server_set_id = $2
> server_condition = "${if pam{$2:$3}{1}{0}}"
>
> login:
> driver = plaintext
> public_name = LOGIN
> server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
> server_set_id = $1
> server_condition = "${if pam{$1:$2}{1}{0}}"
>
> Taken from:
> http://www.tipcache.com/tip/Setup_SMTP_AUTH_and_TLS_with_Exim_8.html
>
> Now I can't get past 'step 1' - chgrp exim /etc/shadow
>
> There is no group called exim. How can proceed to get this to work?

``man groupadd'' will point you the direction :) And you may have to
make sure that exim runs as user "exim" and that in turn this user has
the primary group "exim".

May be you should ``exim -bP exim_group'' to learn about the group exim
is using.

Probably it will help to assing the group of the shadow file as
additional group to exim. (See ``man usermod'' for this).

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -