[exim] Exim with 'Prayer' webmail daemon

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: [exim] Exim with 'Prayer' webmail daemon
Might there be a guru online form the Cambridge or Reading Uni teams who
has guidance on getting the 'Prayer' Webmail daemon to speak to
Exim-not-Sendmail for sending traffic off-box?

I have:

FreeBSD 6.X & 7.X

- Exim 4.6X,

-- fixed-never-users eximd and root

-- privileged users include 'prayer'

-- 'prayer' in same group as exim and dovecot

- Dovecot 1.02beta3 thru 1.1X (1.7 no longer handles SQL auth properly)

Dovecot works nicely with Prayer for reading folders.

- prayer 1.1.0 (later versions are Linux-only

-- patched to correct Cambridge-unique short Username & password

-- patched to discard debris in the URL so it can reconnect on-click

Exim's ~/configure is set to allow relay from the on-box 'prayer'
(unless I have missed something)

The oddity:

Prayer can send with 'Sendmail', if I shut Exim down and enable
Sendmail. It cannot send with Exim, despite either a direct call to
/usr/local/sbin/exim in ~prayer.cf OR the redirect in
/etc/mail/mailer.cf mapping calls to the sendmail binary to exim.

I can find nothing in any of the following logs to indicate why so:

- /var/log/exim~

- /var/log/maillog

- /var/log/all.log

- /var/log/messages

- /var/log/console.log

- /var/log/prayer/prayer or /var/spool/prayer/logs/prayer

Seems *weird* to me, 'coz I would expect that (at least) Cambridge is
using 'Prayer' with Exim...

Suspicion:

- While 'prayer' drops 'root' and runs as EUID 'prayer - could it be
reverting to 'root' UID when calling the Exim binary?

Sendmail seems to see it as having originated traffic as 'root@'.

But - if so - why no log evidence *anywhere*?

Any guidance appreciated.

I'd like to shed perl/PHP/Ruby/python webmail in favor of compiled 'C'.

Thanks,

Bill Hacker