[exim] Mysql query variable question

Autor: isolderj
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Mysql query variable question

i am trying to parse the UID in one query to a variable in another query but I keep getting a error.

UID    = ${lookup mysql{SELECT user_id from usermaps where emailaddress = '$sender_address'}

then I want to say

ACTIVE_USER = ${lookup mysql{SELECT active FROM mail WHERE user_id = UID}

it returns the right uid but I keep getting a

MYSQL: query failed: Unknown column '<uid>' in 'where clause'. when it runs the second query.

i am sure my problem is in the way I am doing the second query.