Re: [exim] dnslists question

Autor: Ted Cooper
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] dnslists question
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Using dnslists - how can I tell the difference between a failed lookup
> and a lookup that succeeded but returned no information?
>
> Thanks in advance

Conveniently archived for the world to find in "Using DNS lists" on the
exim website -
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTmorednslists

<quote>
If a DNS lookup times out or otherwise fails to give a decisive answer,
Exim behaves as if the host does not match the list item, that is, as if
the DNS record does not exist. If there are further items in the DNS
list, they are processed.

This is usually the required action when dnslists is used with deny
(which is the most common usage), because it prevents a DNS failure from
blocking mail. However, you can change this behaviour by putting one of
the following special items in the list:
  +include_unknown    behave as if the item is on the list
  +exclude_unknown    behave as if the item is not on the list (default)
  +defer_unknown      give a temporary error
</quote>

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html