Re: [exim] RBL: dsbl.org is gone

Author: Alain Williams
To: Warren Baker
CC: exim-users, Alain Williams, Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] RBL: dsbl.org is gone
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:15:55AM +0200, Warren Baker wrote:

> > That's not free for commercial use, hope you're paying them...
> >

> Thats not entirely true, Spamhaus offers the feed for free for low-volume
> mail servers. You also need to meet their other requirements - check
> http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html

Thanks for flagging that up, here is the summary for the lazy:

Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs via DNS queries to our public DNSBL servers is free
of charge if you meet all three of the following criteria:

1. Your use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs is non-commercial*, and
2. Your email traffic is less than 100,000 SMTP connections per day, and
3. Your DNSBL query volume is less than 300,000 queries per day.

* Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as part or
all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which a fee is
charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam filtering appliance
that is then sold to others requires a data feed, regardless of use volume. The
same is true of commercial spam filtering software and commercial spam filtering
services.

A company that uses our DNSBLs solely to filter their own email qualifies as a
non-commercial user and may use our free public DNSBLs if that company's email
volume and DNSBL query volume is below the free use limits. The same is true
for any non-profit organization, school, religious organization, or private
individual who operates their own mail server.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/