[exim] Exim sees LDAP users as local

Author: Simon Wilson
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim sees LDAP users as local
I have 3 CentOS 5.2 servers with Exim 4.63. They are not the primary mail server for our internal LAN. They run Exim and send system emails to root, with an alias "root: simon@???" so my real email account gets root mail.

They therefore have an SMTP relay set up in the routing configuration to forward all mail not for localhost (which is everything, as they have no 'real' local users) to a single internal relay that has external SMTP access. This has been working fine for a while, i.e. Exim saw that simon@??? was not local, and passed the emails out to the SMTP relay.

I have now installed LDAP on the network, and the servers have been configured as LDAP clients. The LDAP entry for simon includes my real email address.

Problem: Mail to root aliased to simon@??? is now seen as being local. Log entry is as follows:

... => simon <root@???> R=localuser T=local_delivery

It seems as though Exim sees that simon (it throws away the domain name, even though the domain is not in the exim.conf local domains) IS now a valid local user (albeit an LDAP one) and tries to deliver locally. These emails have now vaporized... :(

getent passwd simon correctly returns the LDAP user. How does Exim check whether the user is local? And why is it seeing simon@???[1] as only 'simon' without the domain?

Exim.conf is standard except for the route to SMTP relay, and a rewrite rule:
*@localhost.localdomain $1server01.domain.lan

domains = @ : localhost : localhost.localdomain

If anyone could help me sort out my config that would be great

Simon.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:simon@validdomainaddress.netFrom pokui@??? Wed Mar 11 01:20:30 2009