Re: [exim] exim wakes up unmounted sata disk

Autor: Ted Cooper
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim wakes up unmounted sata disk
* Tawan Ruanebo wrote:
> i have several sata hard drives connected to my debian testing
> machine. two of them are data drives that spin down after ten minutes
> of no access. only one of them wakes up every half hour. so i
> unmounted the two disks, and the one still wakes up regularly. it took
> me some time to find out (via lastcomm) that exim is responsible for
> this. it is the only process running at exactly the moment the disk
> wakes up. nobody had any idea how this could be, maybe somebody here
> can help me out. i sometimes don't use these drives for days, so i'd
> really like to not have them sit there producing nothing but heat.

It is quite strange that an unmounted drive would be woken up by exim -
or any process for that matter. Unmounting should by definition make the
contents of the drive unavailable. All open file descriptors must be
closed to allow for the unmount or in the event of a forced unmount,
they are forcefully closed.

As for periodic access to drives - how often do you run your queue
runner and where is the spool and log files stored?

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html