[exim] router verify fails but still bounces

Author: MICHAEL KING
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] router verify fails but still bounces
Hi - hope someone can help with this.

I have recently converted to exim4 and it is working great for the most part.

I have local delivery, aliases, simple lists and a catch all router working.

I will eventually turn off the catch all (obviously), but I am monitoring to see if there are subscriptions setup by ex-employees that should be cancelled or changed over etc.

As I find recipients I want to definitely fail (i.e. ex-employees) I add them to a list and have added the following router to handle them:

exlisted:
driver = redirect
local_parts = lsearch;EXLIST
allow_fail
fail_verify_recipient
data = :fail:

exim -bt and exim -bv say the address cannot be verified, so I expect exim to terminate after a RCPT TO. However, tests (telnet and from external mail accounts) show that the emails are accepted but a bounce message is generated:

# exim -bv ex.employee@???
ex.exmployee@??? failed to verify:

How can I make exim terminate after RCPT TO if it matches a recipient in my ex-list?