Re: [exim] 4096 connection barrier

Author: Dave Pooser
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4096 connection barrier
> Obviously (posting from a PowerBook G4) I'm not an enemy of OS X.
>
> But might I ask why, on GGE, one would attempt to use that
> very-definitely-desktop-optimized OS for a *server* ???

1) Why'd you have to go and kick off a religious war, Bill? :^)

2) Speaking as a guy who runs a mostly Mac shop, OS X Server could be a very
powerful and useful server. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't get enterprise,
doesn't really want to get enterprise, and isn't interested in improving
their enterprise support. So you get security updates that break any perl
modules installed through CPAN (because nobody would install perl modules on
a UNIX server), open-source components that languish for many revisions
without updates, and no way to virtualize the OS on a bare-metal hypervisor.
None of those is a technical problem with what could be a very capable
BSD-based server; they're all layer 8 problems, and thus seem unlikely to
change until Steve Jobs retires for good, if then.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com