Re: [exim] [OT] Stupid spammers

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] [OT] Stupid spammers
Ted Cooper wrote:
> W B Hacker wrote:
>> Yawn...... I think one of my adresses gets no more spam now than it did
>> a dozen years ago...
>>
>> OTOH, even an alleged NDR won't get past acl_smtp_connect if is has no
>> PTR RR. ....
>>
>> I *do* get one heck of a lot more connection *attempts* than 1,000 a
>> day. Or hour.
>
> That means you have significantly greater restrictions on incoming email
> than I can afford to do. :) You're lucky. I probably could do it on this
> server as it's just for my domain, but I run the same config everywhere
> for simplicity. I'm guessing I couldn't directly email you from this
> server due to my crappy RDNS.

Feel free to try - it is not assured I'd reject, as host -v, dig, and
sorbs show imperfect, but not necesarily fatal returns. Might get a few
non-fatal demerits for HELO <=> FQDN mismatch. Or not.

> I have two customer domains that get anywhere from 100-1000 attempted
> NDRs a night from russian servers with correct RDNS and MX records that
> have accepted emails from domains with -all SPF records. The only way to
> fix it was to force PVRS/BATV on the way out since backscatterer.org
> seems to delist occational bouncers too quickly.

To be fair - many of the originations with .ru, other former-East-bloc,
or Chinese <tld> are forgeries or compromised boxes.

The criminals in those places are generally wise enough to relay via
zombot nets or servers in the US, where the right to spam was sold by
what PJO called their 'Parliament of Whores' - AKA 'Congress', to the
direct marketing organizations with the notorious "You, too CAN-spam" act.

Pity they didn't tax it instead...

Bill