Re: [exim] transport filter

Author: Renaud Allard
To: David Hefley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] transport filter

On 2/17/09 8:51 PM, David Hefley wrote:
> Hi all - I'm new to Exim 4 and am having trouble. I want to run all mail
> through an external filter to strip certain attachments (I already have the
> program to do this - renattach). I cannot figure out how to convice exim to
> push all mail through this! I have looked at other examples to do a
> transport_filter, but they all seem to refer to a monolithic exim.conf, where I
> have a conf.d folder and then several sub-folders (acl, main, transport,
> router, etc) so I'm not sure where to put the configuration and get it to
> actually work.

exim always uses a monolithic configuration file (with the exception of
includes). But Debian (and hence ubuntu) packaging is somewhat different
and their configuration scheme is very specific, so you should ask this
on debian/ubuntu exim lists. Perhaps you should have a look at
http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4

However, the posts you read about putting a transport_filter are
correct, so really, debian lists will help you better in placing your
snippet at the appropriate place.

All those things apart, a MTA should not modify the contents of a
message in transit, ever...