Re: [exim] rewriting linux user in Received: header

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] rewriting linux user in Received: header
Robert McNaught wrote:
> Thanks for the mail guys, I will continue with your advice.
>
> One thing is that I cannot find /etc/master.passwd - I am using
> CentOS, does anyone know if this is a distribution specific file?
>

> Robert

?

It exists in (at least) all of the *BSD's and in Slackware (which is
more like Unix than Linux).

As to the rest of Linux-land, whatever else they use should at least
show itself with:

grep -R 'root' /etc

Better yet - use your own login name instead of 'root', as it will
narrow the search.

Be aware that a pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd will create (at least) one
db'ish version, (usually two) but those should report as 'binary file
<whatever> matches.

BTW - 'safer' to create your own version for Exim to use instead of the
'real' passowrd file(s), manually maintain it, and alter the
system/alias router accordingly.

Poor man's virtualization technique, and insures you won't accept
incoming addresses to daemon-runners, then have nowhere to deliver it.

Most of 'em can't read well anyway...

Bill