Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock
Mr David Robertson wrote:
> These machines have recently been upgraded, 3days ago. New hardware and
> OS version. They replaced machines that were 3yrs old that had been
> running the same configuration for that time without a problem.
>
> I have indeed fixed the problem by reverting to a normal -q20m but
> thanks for the info. I think the problem may have been caused by
> FreeBSD 7.1 being far better at handling multi cpu systems and process
> running into each other (big guess).
>
> These servers are dumps that handle failed mail. So the cron job was a
> brutal way of trying one last delivery and far quicker than -q20m when
> you know the queue is going to be large and very slow.
>
> David

I'd be interested in what percentage of previously-failed traffic they
manage to eventually deliver - and why that portion failed on the primary.

Our retry rules take care of 'legitimate' greylisting w/o much load, so
the only thing we ordinarily see as ND's are the odd 'tmda' or sputnik -
left for the individual sender to deal with, or NOT.

All else is not *ever* going to get thru - 'least not 'til a mis-spelled
address is manually corrected.

Bill