Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Failed to get write lock
Mr David Robertson wrote:
> Good suggestion. Did a diff. Unfortunately there are no major
> differences.
> Just the things you would expect. hostname etc
>
> David

Graeme's suggestion w/r clearing out the hints has helped me in similar
odd circumstances. Average need has been less than once per three years,
though.

I'd also be tempted to browse the queue, for which lynx or links are
handy over ssh, as they 'navigate' a durn sight more comfortably than
'ls -l' and 'less'.

And - not to put too fine a point on it, but why use a chroned
queue-runner if the interval is only 2 minutes anyway?

I have run;

exim -bd -q55s

..for ages - the sort interval only because we are 10% Maildir and
IMAP-only, so intra-inter-office traffic is as fast as IRC.

-q2m should obviate the need or any chron working, and a single 'master'
Exim is less likely to collide with itself than an external invocation
marching to the beat of a different drummer.

HTH,

Bill