Re: [exim-dev] Exim daily snapshots

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Exim daily snapshots
Renaud Allard wrote:
> On 2/9/09 6:04 PM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>> On 9 Feb 2009, at 16:51, Graeme Fowler wrote:
>>> It strikes me that we are where we are because there's no one person
>>> driving development forward - either by being the "crazy ideas guy",
>>> or
>>> by actually doing the coding. Looking at Bugzilla is depressing :(
>>

>> Well yes.
>> Unfortunately it needs some people who can put effort into things like
>> coding and release management, and at this time I don't see those
>> people around.
>>
>> There are a lot of people calling for other people to do things,
>> or making bike shedding suggestions (ie changing to git - which is
>> somewhat ineffective if there is no one producing changes to version).
>>
>> My position is that I do not do mail as any significant part of my
>> work now, so cannot put any work time towards exim. I also do not
>> have vast reserves of spare time to push to exim although I have
>> been trying to at least keep infrastructure etc running. This also
>> means I am falling further and further out of touch with the current
>> state of the MTA art....
>>
>> So maybe its time to push out a current snapshot as a release and
>> close down....
>>
>> [and yes, I realise that this is basically a call for other people to
>> do things, although in my defence I am at least not asking for them to
>> do things for me as I am effectively no longer an exim customer]
>>

> Perhaps it could be a good idea to list which things are needed as a
> list of "jobs" people could apply to.
> Like you mail is now only a very small subset of my job now, but I still
> have my personal servers, so I could do things if I knew what is to be
> done. I guess assigning people to small specific tasks could be a
> benefit and lower the load on your shoulders. Tasks just have to be
> defined.

I only suggested git because I've got a little git mad lately with work
development and it has made our small shared code bases infinitely
easier to deal with. I wouldn't suggest that someone else port the
current exim CMS to git just for my benefit :P

With regards to exim, I too am no longer focused on email however I do
still run my own mail servers plus a few customer ones. I have dreams of
finishing up some additional code for customer servers and expanding
that but it still remains a hobby at this point.

While I don't have wads of time to throw at it, I certainly could do
something to help keep exim alive. There are few things I have on my
TODO list which involve new code or fixes for exim, it's just a matter
of getting to them.

The bug list is a little depressing but I live in hope that most of them
are simply people not doing things correctly and putting in bug reports.
I did have a quick look at a few when I had some spare time some months
ago but they all ended up being unreproducible. Those few I looked at
today were all half done conversations from 2+ years ago. Perhaps I
could go through the bug list and terminate old useless bugs >:]

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html