著者: Renaud Allard
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [exim] Defer mail for time

On 12/25/08 1:19 AM, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2008-12-24 at 11:05 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
>> Would anyone know how to defer mail from an address, but based on time
>> of the day.
>>
>> Basically Ive been asked by management to defer all from gmail, facebook
>> etc, between 8 and 5pm.
>
> [ disclosure: I work for a company probably affected by this policy ]
>
> So, there's a quandary here. Email is exchanged between consenting
> systems operating under local rules. You're entitled to not accept
> email which you don't want and nobody can say otherwise.
>
> Yet email is built on cooperation and resources provided to others on
> the basis of that cooperation.
>
> Forcing mail to queue up on other peoples systems when it is legitimate
> is basically using other people's disk-space, unpaid, to implement local
> policy. That's abusive. You might ask for sign-off from your company's
> legal counsel about the matter of deliberately consuming the resources
> of others for purposes other than the purpose provided (storage for your
> policy, instead of hand-off) without notice, recompense etc.

While I, like others, think it is a bad idea to defer mail from some
providers. An idea to not use others ressources and trigger
notifications would be to accept such mails, not defer them, but freeze
them in the queue. Then at the chosen hours, unfreeze them. This would
not consume others bandwidth and storage.