Re: [exim] Error relaying large emails over two exim hosts

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: W B Hacker
To: exim users
題目: Re: [exim] Error relaying large emails over two exim hosts
OPTITAS Info wrote:
> Environment (all servers running Debian etch w exim4 and latest patches applied).
> Both Linux-Servers are running FWBuilder iptable firewalls.
>
> Scenario sending a mail from the WXP PC:
> * WindowsXP-PC w Thunderbird (eMail source)
> -> MailServer1 (gateway, smart router, connected via DSL Router)
> -> MailsServer2 (relay, outgoing eMail) sending emails to the final destination.
> Anything works fine until large eMails (or eMail w large attachments / approx > 1MB) are sent.
> Whenever large email are sent, the connection once is broken and the sending host (Server1) retries sending the emails on next
> queue-run.
>>From the exim log of Server1:
> "R=smart_route T=remote_smtp defer (-46): SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host xx.xx.xx.xx [xx.xx.xx.xx]: 421
> adomain.eu SMTP incoming data timeout - closing connection"
>
> I did some investigation a few weeks ago and found out that after a while fragmented packets are sent over the Internet line. I
> tried some "optimized" MTU settings but could not solve the problem. I do not think it's a problem with the MTU.
>
> Regardless of the problems sending large mail from Server1 to the internet, receiving large eMails is not a problem.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Sounds as if the two LinBoxen involved are under your control.

If so, what happens when you scp or ftp comparable sized files between
them over the same links & via the same firewalls (if any)?

My guess is that it is trouble-free.

I suspect you need to be looking at MUA <-> MSA <-> MTA handshakes and
timeouts more than MTU sizes.

JFWIW, we limit to 800 MB - enough to handle a full CD plus transmittal
notes.

Initially, we did have to adjust time-outs ELSE sender's MUA was unaware
it had suceeded, made multiple successive deliveries.

Attachments of several MB are common, and no trouble.

CAVEATS: *BSD servers, ABM desktops, SeaMonkey MUA.

HTH,

Bill Hacker