Re: [exim] "appendfile" transport run with wrong uid

Top Pagina
Auteur: Odhiambo Washington
Aan: psobolewski
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] "appendfile" transport run with wrong uid
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM, <psobolewski@???> wrote:

> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> > > I'm trying such simple exim configuration:
> >
> > The default configure file that ships with Exim is "simple" enough for
> your
> > needs. Any attempts at reducing it's simplicity must be carried out by
> > someone who understands Exim better that you do; same thing to adding
> > complexity to it.
>
> Sure. I'm just trying to understand Exim better than I do now - and that's
> why
> I experiment with writing config file from scratch and try to understand
> the
> behaviour it produces. And in this case I can't find an answer in
> documentation - so I ask about it here.

Which documentation are you reading?
To start with, the default configure file that ships with Exim has the
following:

<quote>
# This transport is used for local delivery to user mailboxes in traditional
# BSD mailbox format. By default it will be run under the uid and gid of the
# local user, and requires the sticky bit to be set on the /var/mail
directory.
# Some systems use the alternative approach of running mail deliveries under
# particular group instead of using the sticky bit. The commented options
below
# show how this can be done.

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
file = /var/mail/$local_part
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
group = mailnull
user = $local_part
mode = 0660
no_mode_fail_narrower

</end quote>

To me, those comments up there are "documentation" enough, no?
If that is not enough, there is spec.txt somewhere in your system. Perhaps
you should read that first as a novel, to the end, then start crafting your
simplistic configuration. I still reiterate that "Any attempts at reducing
it's simplicity must be carried out by someone who understands Exim better
that you do; same thing to adding complexity to it"!
You might first want to find out who wrote that default file, and why. Then
tell us which documentation you were reading that lacked the explanation:-)

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,