Re: [exim] OT: sanesecurity.com off line

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] OT: sanesecurity.com off line
Phil (Medway Hosting) wrote:

> [...]

I did yes. I know that.

> I would imagine that by making the files into a single line, he is negating the "feeling of need"
> for spammers to DOS him, but at the same time, not causing people errors on
> their systems due to the server just disappearing. It would also save him
> pointless bandwidth.
>
> Not simply switching the server off altogether is quite considerate of him
> in my opinion.

Switching it off would have been better for everyone concerned. It would
have resolved his problems without causing various automated download
scripts to delete a load of useful signatures leading to spam/phishing
attacks getting through.

Luckily for me I turned off the cron job on my place of works mail
servers before this happened, otherwise I'm sure a bunch of
spam/phishing attacks would have got through.

Mike