Re: [exim] Full SMTP session log functionality

Author: Adam Osuchowski
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Full SMTP session log functionality
Ted Cooper wrote:
> That's what debug mode is for. Having that much raw data stuffed into
> the logs would be one hell of a space hog, especially when you only need
> that information when something is wrong and you need to test a specific
> case.

Ok, but in most cases I need to diagnose problems have already occurred
in the past. In such situations it's easier for me (and probably for
some other people too) to have that informations about SMTP dialog.
Turning off mail daemon and running it in debug mode only to solve problems
with individual clients is not good solution.

> You could already do it with the existing functionality anyway, using
> log_write and the appropriate ACL hooks. The only command I can think of
> without an ACL is RSET, but you could mimic it with some smart thinking
> in the MAIL FROM ACL.

Do you mean log_write() function from local scan or Perl? Great, but it
requires writing extra code and/or rebuilding exim (which could be
problematic during upgrades on many hosts). So, if it is already possible,
why don't put that functionality into existing exim sources, permanently?
It does not need to be active by default, but if necessary, somebody could
easily turn it on through ,,log_selector = +smtp_dialog'' or something
similar. Then, for people who don't need it, nothing will change.