Re: [exim] Outlook, Exim and TLS.

Autor: Mark Chappell
A: Drew Calcott
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Outlook, Exim and TLS.
Drew Calcott wrote:
> I'm having a problem on our department mail server with trying to get Outlook
> 2k3 and 2k7 to send mail with TLS.
>
> It works for all other mail clients that I have tried, but Outlook is being
> stubborn. Outlook doesn't provide any helpful error messages and the logs from
> exim show the following:
>
> Has anyone come across this before? I had a search through the archives / FAQ
> and was unable to see anything directly related.

As with many of Microsoft's implementations of open protocols, their TLS
implementation is rather flaky and requires specific username/password
prompts.

The simplest way to do it is just to use SSL, however that's not what
you asked for.

Searching the archives isn't always the simplest but if you know it's
there...

[thread]
http://www.mail-archive.com/exim-users@exim.org/msg20121.html

[solution]
http://www.mail-archive.com/exim-users@exim.org/msg20124.html

It's been a while since I've given two hoots about getting it working
with their implementation (we just tell users to use SSL) and the server
we got it running on doesn't exist any more so I'm just copying from the
thread, but:

LOGIN:
   driver                     = plaintext
   server_set_id              = $auth1
   server_prompts             = <| Username: | Password:
   server_condition        = ${if pam{$auth1:$auth2}{yes}{no}}
   server_advertise_condition = ${if def:tls_cipher }

Mark