Re: [exim] Outlook, Exim and TLS.

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Eli Sand
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: 'Drew Calcott', exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Outlook, Exim and TLS.
Drew wrote:

> I'm having a problem on our department mail server with trying to get
> Outlook
> 2k3 and 2k7 to send mail with TLS.

The only client to successfully implement TLS in it's *entirety* so far is
Outlook 2k7. It should function properly (afaik) on any port with TLS if
the client is configured properly (check my headers - I use TLS with my
server and Outlook 2k7).

Outlook 2k3 I believe supports TLS (I forget), but it works ONLY when your
SMTP port is 25 (so if you're unlucky like me and your internet provider
blocks port 25, you have to connect to an alternate port and TLS won't
function). It will automatically assume legacy SSL on all other ports,
regardless of settings. This is the same for Vista Mail, and Live Mail even
though they may have been developed after 2k7 (I don't understand how their
programmers messed up the TLS implementation this bad).

Essentially, if you don't control the client, you're best to tell the person
to use legacy SSL if SSL is required when using Outlook, unless you're lucky
and they're 2k7, in which case it's as simple as selecting TLS on the ports
configuration tab.

Eli.