Re: [exim] Exim Development

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Development
Marc Perkel wrote:
> It's hardly a solution in that it doesn't do what I want. I want to be
> able to look at the reason for the 550 rejection. So if it's "unknown
> user" it gets treated differently from "relaying denied". If I had that
> I could make a choice to refusing an email or accepting it and storing it.

There are no ACLs or any kind of configuration options available for
outgoing SMTP connections that would give you the control needed. No one
is going to code it for you.

All that information is available in the bounced message sitting on the
local disk ready to be parsed. It's not even going to be in an
unpredictable bounce format, it's going to be in the exim format,
clearly stating the 5xx code and string description. fgrep,awk,sed,preg
would get it for you.

I assume that any message that is has made it that far would normally be
accepted and delivered so having fully accepted the email is not an
issue. All future emails can either be deferred or accepted and frozen.

It's a very workable solution, it's just not 100% inside the MTA, but
then again, it's not its job.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html