Re: [exim] Exim Development

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Exim Development
Marc

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 09:02 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Another feature - something I've asked for before - is the ability to
> treat a 5xx error as a 4xx error. I know people have complained it is
> dangerous but you can put all kinds of warnings in the docs about it.
> Here's why.

You can't, and I don't believe anyone in their right mind [0] should do this.
Here's why:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5321.txt

If you ask an MTA to start mangling (by not honouring) the meaning of
error codes we can all throw the SMTP protocol out of the window and
start using something else instead.

How about you reconfigure your MTAs such that the first time one of your
clients sends a 5yz error to something you know they should accept, you
simply start deferring delivery to them and occasionally retry? It
shouldn't be too hard to work that one out.

Graeme

[0] Specious comments off the list, please!