Re: [pcre-dev] Licensing for statically linked use

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Dominik Friedrichs
Υ/ο: pcre-dev
Αντικείμενο: Re: [pcre-dev] Licensing for statically linked use
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Dominik Friedrichs wrote:

> I made a small one-file windows program in which I have statically linked
> PCRE 7.8 as I prefer this to be all in one single .exe file.
> Originally I wanted to release a binary (and source) of this under GPL, but
> as I read PCRE uses BSD and they are incompatible. Am I right to assume that
> I can only release my program under a BSD or BSD compatible license, at
> least as long as I link PCRE statically?

For my part, I am happy for people to do what they like with PCRE. That
is why I released it under BSD, which seemed to be the "standard"
licence that fitted my needs. I am not sufficiently clued up on the
nuances of licences to know whether this prevents you from releasing
your application under GPL. (Incidentally, all my other open source
software uses GPL, but I didn't want to prevent people using PCRE in
proprietory applications.)

Philip

--
Philip Hazel