Re: [exim] Building virtual domain on multiple mail server

Author: Stephen Liu
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Building virtual domain on multiple mail server

--- W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

> Stephen Liu wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > This is my first posting on this mailing list. I never ran Exim as
> MTA
> > before which is completely new to me.
> >

> > What I'm exploring is as follow;
> >

> > - building multiple mail servers on guests of a Xen box running
> Debian
> > Etch (I can make it without problem)
> >

> > - all mail servers running Exim as MTA (I hope I can make it.
> After
> > finish I'll clone its image creating multiple mail severs on the
> Xen
> > box. I did the later without problem before running other MTA).
> Each
> > guest being a mail server has its own servername/hostname and local
> IP.
> >

> > - the most important goal is how to run multiple domains on one
> > external IP. Each incoming mail can be delivered to its own mail
> > server. It is similar to virtual domain. I made it on one mail
> server
> > before running other MTA. But I have no idea how to build virtual
> > domain on multiple mail servers.
> >

> > Could you please shed me some light? Pointer would be appreciated.
> >

> > Regarding DNS server, bind9, do I need building it on each mail
> server?
> > Can I build only DNS on one mail server to be shared by others?
> >

> > TIA
> >

> > A side question. Registration to Exim-user forum has been disabled
> by
> > the site maintainer. Is there any way to register? Thanks.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your advice.

> This message came via the exim-users Mailing list, so it would appear
>
> that you have all the registration you need.

With the same password I can't login;

http://www.exim-users.org/forums/login.php

The site maintainer disables online registration. Is there any other
way to register?

> As to the above complex 'plan', one presumes your goal is to offer a
> 'package' to each of many customers.

This is only a test allowing multiple domains pointing to the same
external IP. Each domain owner may have many users.

I made it successfully on the same guest of a Xen box (each guest can
be considered as a physical PC) without problem. Users of each domain
can logon the mail server on mail client, Evolution, to receive and
send mails. All domains are pointing to the same external IP of the
host. Each guest has its own hostname and local IP. On router all
ports are forwarded to the local IP of the mail server, the guest. The
host of the Xen box is only a simple desktop running Debian Etch. I
use it for remote installing/configuring the guest. DNS, bind9, is
installed on the mail server with /etc/resolv.conf removed

All incoming mails of different domains are received by the mail server
and delivered to their respective folders. Each domain has its own
folder with subfolder alloted to each user. The server is now running
nicely.

> AFAICS, the Xen guest approach will need a unique *external* IP for
> each
> guest - though any such guest may then run many <domain>.<tld> on
> that
> one IP.

I have no idea whether Xen guest can work on my planned way. If it is
ONLY the problem of Xen I can run other virtualization packages,
openvz, vserver, kvm, etc. I ran most of them. I prefer
xen/vserver/openvz because they run kernel virtualization sharing some
files resulting in reducing the storage space. I don't run Windows.
Otherwise I have to run kvm, virturlbox, etc.

> IF all you can spare is ONE external IP, then you'll want to put all
> customers on the same instance of Exim, which will keep them separate
> -
> not by IP, but by <domain>.<tld> - *including* allowing for separate
> filter rules as well as users communities. Each 'customer' can then
> admin their 'partition' via access to anything from flat-files to an
> SQL
> DB. Exim supports just about anything it can be allowed to read.

No problem. On the running mail server abovementioned all data of
domains and their users are stored on the database, MySQL. But I
haven't resolved how to route them to the respective mail servers, NOT
on the same mail server. I wonder Exim can sort out my problem. Even
if Exim can help me out I have to reserve on MTA for routing.

> Properly set up, there will not even be a need to restart Exim after
> changes, as it can read-in external files/DB's each time a new child
> process is spawned - which happens for every new connection, in or
> out.
>

> DNS:
>
> DNS *may* be run (also) on an MTA - but *should* be run on two or
> more
> OTHER boxes, and not all on the same backbone.

If DNS only runs on ONE MTA how can other mail servers use it. If
installing DNS on all mail servers it is not my planning on this
venture. Whether installing a separate DNS on a guest allowing other
mail severs share it. If the arrangement is in this way then I'll add
a DNS slave as well.

> You will need AT LEAST your PTR RR in the IP-block holder's DNS (your
>
> data center / colocation provider or broadband upstream).
>
> They can also hold your MX and other DNS entries if their fees and
> response time to change orders are suitable, saving you the hassle of
>
> running a pair/trio of DNS services.

Could you please explain in more detail. TIA

B.R.
Stephen L