[exim] clamd not scanning?

Author: lee
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] clamd not scanning?
Hi,

it seems that clamd is not scanning mails. I have:

av_scanner = clamd:/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl

acl_check_data:

  # Deny if the message contains a virus. Before enabling this check,
  you
  # must install a virus scanner and set the av_scanner option above.
  #
  deny    message    = This message contains a virus ($malware_name).
          demime     = *
          malware    = */defer_ok

Clamd is running, exim doesn't complain about it not being
available. I don't see any indication in any of the logfiles that
clamd is getting any mail to scan, and I can send eicar test files
without them being detected, not even when the test string is plain in
the body of the testmail. Scanning the file with clamscan detects the
eicar test correctly.

What am I missing? How can I see if exim actually feeds mail through
clamd? Shouldn't there something about scanning activity show up in
the logfiles?