Re: [exim] Exim include file for routers

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim include file for routers
Brent Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Ted Cooper <eximX1211@???> wrote:
>> Brent Jones wrote:
>>> Exim users,
>>> Is there a way to include a separate file from within the routers section?
>>> I would like to put the include file before other routers take place,
>>> but am unsure the order that Exim will process it if inside another
>>> file.
>>> Is this possible, and which order will Exim process the routers?
>> The routers are always processed in order.
>>
>> See
>> 6.3. File inclusions in the configuration file
>> http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch06.html#SECID41
>>
>> You also need to read
>> 3. How Exim receives and delivers mail
>> http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch03.html
>>

>> --
>> The Exim Manual
>> http://www.exim.org/docs.html
>> http://docs.exim.org/current/
>> Something else entirely. http://spudlugs.com
>>
>> --
>>

> Thank you, I have the Exim4 book, but couldn't find the .include info
> in it, but I did find it later.
> The book wasn't exactly clear in which order it would process the
> includes, but it looks like it will see the .include, read the file,
> then come back to the rest of the routers if the .include did not
> match anything.

Thankfully, the links I posted explain everything.

"Include processing happens after macro processing (see below). Its
effect is to process the lines of the included file as if they occurred
inline where the inclusion appears."

"An address is processed by passing it to each configured router
instance in turn, subject to certain preconditions, until a router
accepts the address or specifies that it should be bounced. We will
describe this process in more detail shortly. First, as a simple
example, we consider how each recipient address in a message is
processed in a small configuration of three routers."

Using .include on a router does not change its order.